So, I've never posted a blog nor have I ever been all that interested in doing so. I'm not a great writer as you'll see.... But, as I was watching the Great Martha Stewart and her blog episode the other day, I felt this urge to start my own blog. I thought about what I was passionate. It was simple. COOKING! But, I didn't want it to be another cooking blog, so I decided it was going to be about my new found love of Korean cooking. Before I get into the cooking part, let me introduce myself. I'm just a simple Korean-American girl who moved to the states in 1990. I was 10. I've been playing violin almost my whole life. My dream was to become a famous violinist and travel the world. After I graduated from The Curtis Institute in Philadelphia, I got married. Right away I wanted to take on my new role as a wife seriously. I cooked, cleaned and did everything else a good wife does. In the midst of it all, I discovered that I actually enjoyed cooking. It started with watching the food network here and there. I would try cooking different things every night, trying out new recipes on my husband. Within a year of cooking non-stop, my poor husband(always been lean) gained 10 pounds and I gained a new confidence! Did I mention, my husband was a very picky eater? When we got married, he was, simply put, a meat and potatoes guy.
My mother was and still is a fantastic cook. She made food for my family(our small family consists of my dad, mom, my sister Sarah and me) with such love and grace everyday. She never complained about cooking even in the hottest days of summer, even the days she felt run-down, she cooked for us. I have always been afraid to cook Korean. I had several attempts at it, but always failed. It never tasted good even when I was following the recipes. It DID NOT taste like my mother's cooking. I asked her one day, after the last failed attempt, how she does it so well. Well, her answer was "it's love, darling!" (darn!) Now what?!?
It took me many more years to start trying again. Fast forward to now, I've been happily married 6 years to my wonderful husband Ian and I have a beautiful baby named Logan who is almost 6 months. I have always admired my mother's cooking and admired her as a mom. She took such great care of us! Importantly, I want to cook Korean food for my child who is after all, half Korean. So, as I go through this new journey of learning to cook Korean, I hope you'll all come with me, laugh with me, make mistakes but ultimately in the end, become a great Korean-American cook!
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment